The hidden cost of healthcare
due to inefficiencies and errors
Operating Room – OR
Retained Surgical Instrument – RSI
Sterile Processing & Distribution – SPD
Accounting for surgical sponges alone constitutes 14% of operative time on average(2)
16 Deaths resulted from RSI's(7)
Reducing the volume of excess instrumentation sent through sterile supply processing could lead to savings ranging from $70,000 - $150,000 a year (13)
Remove 15 minutes(minimally) inventorying items multiplied by 150 procedures= 2,250 extra minutes(multiplied) by $75/min=$168,750)
18.75 procedures with a discrepancy multiplied by 20 mins=375 minutes(multiplied by $75/min=$28,125)
Total Excess costs & resources wated in one week.....$196,875
Prevent (1) RSI incidents/year =$448,496
Improving efficiency with Data Metrics
Tracking Instrument Utilization offer significant benefits in the surgical department including:
- Reducing Sterilization Cycles
- Creating Uniformity amongst surgeons
- Optimizing surgical supply management and sterile processing and distribution
- Reducing instrument turnover, instrument loss, and reducing shrink
- Benchmarking surgical procedure to enhance patient care
For a typical hospital with an 8-hour surgical day, each 1 percent improvement in OR efficiency is a savings of more than $50,000 per year/per OR; for mid-sized to larger hospitals, that is $500,000 if they have 10 ORs (16).
Creating a 10% increase in operating room efficiency can save a hospital up to $5,000,000/year
- Rebuck, David A., et al. “Simple modifications in operating room processes to reduce the times and costs associated with robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy.” Journal of Endourology 25.6 (2011):955-960.
- Christian, Caprice K., et al. “A proscpective study of patient safety in the operating room.” Surgery 139.2 (2006): 159-173
- Gibbs, Verna C. “Thinking in three’s: changing surgical patient safety practices in the complex modern operating room.” World journal of gastronterology: WJG 18.46 (2012): 6712.
- Macario A. What does one minute of operating room time cost? J Clin Anesth, 2010, Jun:22(4):233-6.
- J Law, Medicine & Ethics, 2012.
- www.citizens.org. 2012. Jational Practitioner Data Bank, 2012, Tables 1-6
- CMS-1390-P, 2008, Average Unreimubrsed RSI Procedural Cost Reported by CMS, updated to reflect 2013 dollars
- http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/SEA 51_URFOs_10_17_13_FINAL.pdf